Gender Coordinator @ Mennonite Economic Development Associates of Canada APPLICATIONS CLOSES SOON
MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, we partner with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Gender Coordinator
- MEDA seeks qualified Nigerians to support its Youth Entrepreneurship and Women's Empowerment in Northern Nigeria project (Nigeria WAY) in Bauchi, Bauchi state. Nigeria WAY is a five- year project that will assist economically active women and youth to increase their income particularly those who are involved in agro-processing in the rice, soybean, and groundnut value chains.
- The project will work with communities and families to improve the environment where girls grow up and become economically active
- The project will run until March 2022.
- The position is central to a team of the value chain, and financial services advisors based in Bauchi State in Nigeria.
- The Gender Coordinator will be the technical lead for the integration of gender inclusion and youth considerations into all aspects of the project.
- The Gender Coordinator will work in the project to integrate relevant national gender policy frameworks and metrics, as well as to achieve inclusive outcomes.
- Additionally, the Gender Coordinator will collaborate with implementing partners to raise awareness and devise strategies to obstacles to inclusion with community leaders, men, women and youth in the areas where the project is operating.
- The position will report progress as part of donor reports and to MEDA team members and management as needed, with a special focus on early and forced child marriage in all activities.
- The position has a start date asap, is full time in a 1-year contract renewable up to 5 Years. Based in Bauchi city, Bauchi state, Nigeria the position entails travel around the state and is supervised by the Deputy Field Project Manager
- Lead the implementation of the Gender Equality and Inclusion strategies for the project
- Mainstream gender considerations across all project workflows
- Ensure gender and youth inclusion participation in project activities per project framework, develop and implement strategies with the team
- Work with Lead Firms, Key Facilitating Partners and other project stakeholders to raise gender awareness and the key gender equality aspect of time use for women as economic actors.
- Track, analyse and report on all gender-disaggregated data to show women and youth's involvement in the project, and seek corrective measures as and when needed
- Identifying emerging challenges and promoting best practices in gender-equitable participation to contribute to improving the business environment for small-scale business
- Document gender perspectives to business risk mitigation
- A master's degree in Gender and/or Youth Studies, Community/ Socio-economic Development, Sociology, or a related field required
- Demonstrated understanding of gender and youth issues and needs, research and analytical tools, strategies and approaches especially those related to agricultural value chains
- At least five years of professional experience, three of which must be gender-related in an international development setting
- Experience conducting training, youth and gender analysis and gender integration programming, including on-the-ground participatory approaches
- Good presentation and communications skills
- Critical thinker, ability to problem solve and work collaboratively in a team to achieve results
- Good computing skills including Microsoft office software packages
- Sector experience: agriculture/agribusiness, and/or extractive sectors a plus work in the private sector
- Excellent report writing and review skills
- Willingness to travel to project areas
- Fluency in English required and Hausa is preferred
15th October, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are required to submit their CV's and cover letter to: [email protected]
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.